Subtle Flavours are all you need!
I don’t know if you’ve noticed in the last decade or so, but advertising and marketing seems to be getting louder and louder. NOTICE ME, BUY FROM ME!!!!
Imagine you’re in a noisy crowd and you are trying to talk to a friend. You might need to shout and this is understandable. Same goes for a crowded and competitive market.
Many businesses who haven’t found their niche or who have decided on a high volume, low cost model of business feel they have to shout to be noticed. And shouting usually also involves a discount offer too.
However, if you find the right market position for your small to medium enterprise and if you’ve decided to follow a VALUE model, not focussed on price, you don’t need to shout to be noticed.
I cooked Blue Grenadier with Dill, Ginger and Lemon last night and it prompted this comment on being subtle. When cooking this dish, you need to be subtle with the ingredients. Dill, Ginger and Lemon all add something to the fish, but you still want to taste the fish!
Likewise, when you identify the right value proposition for your business – your UNIQUENESS – then you can be subtle in communicating the right things to the right customer – and because you know what they value – there is no doubt they’ll hear you because they’re looking for just what you have on offer.
So find your niche, work out what value you offer and be subtle.
Oh and here is the recipe.
1. Buy some fresh plump fillets of Blue Grenadier – or your preferred white fish fillet
2. Preheat oven to 150 degrees celcius
3. Get a piece of aluminium foil large enough to wrap each fillet and sit the fillet in the middle of the foil.
4. Lightly season with a little pepper and salt and drizzle a little olive oil on and around the fillet
5. Grate a little ginger over the top of the fillet
6. Sprinkle a little chopped dill
7. Top with 2 or three thin lemon slices
8. Wrap the fillet up, leaving a little opening to allow heat to escape but also making sure fillet is completely covered.
9. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes – check and cook for further 5 minutes if needed
Serve with steamed vegetables and if you wish potatoes cooked the way you like.
Enjoy the dish, and a more subtle targeted marketing program.